Thursday, August 11, 2011

Random Wednesdays

Way back in the beginning of the summer my friend Kate told me that our friend Dan asked her to give him lessons on "how to be random". I quickly agreed to help and Random Wednesdays were born.

We didn't really know what that would mean at first. We had a few plans but not many that we really loved. The first Wednesday wound up being spent in a bubble tea shop with a few friends, including Gaylen and her three British friends she brought from Cambridge for a visit. The tea shop is kind of a gathering place for people from my school and as the night went on more people joined us including a crowd of people coming from a trivia night down the road. Unfortunately the slightly drunk librarian couldn't join us and her car had to be driven home by my friend Jordan. Dan came with the trivia group and all in all about 20 of us wound up at the tea house for nearly four or five hours. By the end of the night we hadn't really done anything random so Dan, Kate, Michelle, Ashley, and I waltzed/ran/skipped around the parking lot in front of a random person in a parked car for a bit and that was that.

The second Random Wednesday we decided to have a Night Picnic. NIGHT PICNIC! Except it rained. So we had to retire to Kate's basement where she had set up a "forest" including a plant, blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals including a Lorax. We had a great time.

Next Random Wednesday. My first one after coming back to LeakyCon. Kate, Dan, and I decided to dress up as vagabonds (a.k.a. "Land Pirates") and walk around the mall. Within two minutes of Kate and I walking in we passed a man who immediately burst out laughing after trying to hold it in. Then we met up with Dan. So there we went, walking around the mall. Me, covered in shawls. Kate, layers upon layers of ruffled skirts. And Dan? All black with red-lined black cape and a fedora with red and black feathers in it. Oh I'm sure the security guards loved us.

Fourth Random Wednesday was pretty tame. Dan, Chris, Kate, and I walked through the forest along the highway at night and just had a good time going to Wal-Mart and the grocery store while Chris tried to remember what he was supposed to remember.

And this brings us to last night's Random Wednesday. Another Night Picnic but this time at a playground by the highway we walked the week before. The same Picnic group gathered as last time (Dan, Kate, Chris, Elana, and I) along with the new addition of Colin.

Elana and I spent half the time comparing our new wands that we both got at Wizarding World this summer and swapping Harry Potter stories. And that was really great. Just completely nerding out about Harry Potter and having someone from my IRL life understand. When I told my StarKid stories from LeakyCon, Elana just got it and made jokes back to me. We talked about Doctor Who and counted the amount of times the Doctor has snogged people in the new series. It's funny. I spend so much time missing my URL friends that I sometimes forget that I have people like this in my very own town. For now at least as Elana will be leaving for college in two weeks. But I'll still have Brooke! My best friend who I haven't mentioned in this blog yet I don't think because she doesn't do things. That's her thing.

So I guess the whole point of this blog post was just to remind myself that I have damn awesome, nerdy friends outside of the internet, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment