Monday, August 15, 2011

Air Brat on the Road

I am an Air Force brat. Since my dad hasn't actually been in the Air Force for 17 years this doesn't really affect me except I have super warm coats and know the rules of saluting. But I'm learning to drive right now and so things sometimes come up that I imagine don't happen to civilian kids.

For instance, an example of a typical conversation between my dad and I when I'm behind the wheel.

Dad: Next left.
Me: I know.
Dad: And straight here.
Me: I know how to get to my house. I've lived here for most of my life.
Dad: I know but it's sometimes hard to think of directions when you're first learning to drive. It's like they say in the Air Force. "Aviate, then navigate, then communicate." Keep flying first, then think of where you're flying to, then radio in and say where you're going.
Me: They sure say a lot in the Air Force, don't they?

And then last night my windshield was super dirty and it was raining so that all I could see through it were glares of light and the occasional odd shape that could have been a car but might as well have been a horse drinking tea. So at dinner tonight when I was recounting the story there were plenty of "night flying" and "instruments only" jokes going about. And honestly, if I had to describe to someone just how bad the windshield was, I would probably say it was like being under the hood.

Also since the pilot in me has a need for speed I'm just waiting for the comment "You're driving a Subarau, not an F-117!"

At this rate I may have my pilot's license before my driver's one.

No comments:

Post a Comment